1. Find PHA
If you are looking to port, you must find a receiving PHA (Sec 8 Office) in
your chosen area willing to accept you into their sec 8 housing program.
The best way to do this is to go to the Port page on this site.

2. Get Approved for Porting
You get approved 2 ways:
“Absorption”: If funds are available, the receiving PHA picks up the tab for
your sec 8 payments by absorbing cost into their budget.
“Billing Arrangement”: If funds are limited or not available, the receiving
PHA can structure a billing arrangement wherein your initial PHA agrees to
cover the cost of some or all of your Sec8 payments.
Bear in mind, if you’re porting into an area with higher rents, your initial
PHA may deny your move if they don’t have enough money in their budget
to cover the increased cost of your HAP contract.

3. When You Find New Rental
Once you find a suitable rental you must contact your caseworker at your
new PHA and inform them of your “choice”. You must also contact your old
PHA so they can iron out the financial details of your move (“billing
arrangement” or “absorption”) and send your Family Report (HUD-52665)
to new PHA.
Welcome to your New Home!